Our Name

We know, on first glance, that “Swamp” seems like a strange name for a church.  There is a reason for it, though: the Mennonites who established the church back in 1719 referred to our region as “the Swamp” or “Great Meadows.”  In 1847, when we settled into our original building (which is now the children’s wing of our current facility), we took the name “Swamp” to differentiate us from “East Swamp” and “West Swamp.” As the number of people in our church grew, we added on to the building several times during the 20th century.  Many of the original members of our church were the farmers who drained the area to create the fertile fields we enjoy now; today, our members include farmers, teachers, engineers, construction workers, lawyers, homemakers, and grandparents!